City roundup: tourism
The City of Noblesville recently released its year-end annual report. The report details major accomplishments from every city department and within the community during 2016, and each week, Current in Noblesville will be highlighting a portion of the report. This week, it’s tourism. To see the full report, visit bit.ly/2lDGclL.
- Of each dollar spent by visitors in Hamilton County in 2016, 90 cents in economic impact was returned to the local area.
- Total economic impact for visitor spending in Hamilton County wass $613.5 million in 2016, up 11.9 percent from 2014-15. Food and beverage spending alone grew 9.3 percent in the same period, and retail grew 11 percent.
- Hamilton County saw approximately 4.25 million visitors in 2016.
- Hamilton County is the 35th most affluent county in the U.S. and ranks in the nation’s top 10 for quality of life, according to American City Business Journal.
- Tourism was the seventh largest job industry in Hamilton County in 2016.
- In 2016, the I-69 Noblesville corridor added 123 new hotel rooms.
- Klipsch Music Center is the largest outdoor concert venue in the Midwest and was voted the fifth best outdoor music venue in the nation in a USA Today poll.
- A record 820,000 hotel room nights were sold throughout Hamilton County in 2016. In December, the county saw a 14.5 percent increase in hotel room demand.